Pen & Paper - Rollenspiel > Pen & Paper - Allgemein

Realistische Welten

(1/6) > >>

Selganor [n/a]:
Es gibt immer wieder Beschwerden, dass die eine oder andere Welt zu "unrealistisch" dargestellt werden wuerde...

Dazu hat James Bell im "Dragon's Breath" einer woechentlichen Kolumne auf fierydragon.com folgendes gesagt (Ich poste mal das Original. Wer Zeit und Lust hat kann's ja uebersetzen)

--- Zitat ---The Reality of Realism

By James Bell

I've often seen postings on message boards chiding D&D campaigns for being too "high fantasy" without enough "realism." I respect the fact that some people want a "gritty" combat system in which any attack could be fatal, but I prefer the "cinematic" adventures in which the heroes are larger than life. Why? Because I play to escape reality, not to experience different forms of stress! And, with that in mind, here are my slightly cynical, tongue-in-cheek methods of adding realism to your D&D campaign.

Have your characters get fired. Why is it that my paladin never loses his job? In fact, looking at his treasure, I quickly notice that the coin he's got in his pockets is about a billion times more than the average commoner earns per month. If you want to add reality, have them work for a living. Pay them in the occasional copper and have the quest for their next piece of fresh fruit be their adventure!

Or, if having characters lose their source of income is a little too much reality, just give them the fear of unemployment. Don't forget the overbearing boss who, while lacking talent and skill, still manages to outrank a character and somehow evade the wrath of upper management. "I can't believe that I'm still a lowly acolyte, while Wayne's the high cleric of Solorien and he can't even do a proper sun sign!!"

Give 'em a cold. My PC has never been sick, other than suffering from some rare rotting disease brought on by contact with a nasty mummy. Have your PCs feel like utter crap for a day - for no reason, or just because the weather has been a tad on the nasty side. In fact, give them hay fever, so that they break into a runny-eyed sneeze whenever they're outside (or encountering elves). Make 'em allergic to horses and see how heroic they are walking back from the dungeon.

Accidental pregnancy. There's a dose of reality. Or even a planned pregnancy. The adventure will consist of finding the location of rare and unusual food combinations. Phoenix feathers and ice cream? Sphinx burgers? Dwarf dust? You either crave it, or you've got to find it for the one who does! And believe me, sometimes you'll be happy just to have an excuse to leave the stronghold!

Sleepless children, of course, are the next step. You think elves are the only ones who can function without sleep? Think again! Sure, you'll never be able to prepare your spells, but you'd be amazed how little sleep you actually need in order to keep (barely) functioning. Have your players roll 1d20. That's how many minutes they get before being woken up again. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Why isn't the ranger worried about the lease on his horse? Or the rising cost of wagon insurance? You know, if the town guard catches the ranger driving that thing home after leaving the tavern late one night, he'll be forced to ride on the party's pack mule for the rest of the campaign. Or worse, he'll discover the limits of the local public transportation.

Reassign deadlines. When the head druid of The Path shows up to inform the characters that the horrific Night of Demons is actually taking place tomorrow instead of three weeks from now, like originally planned, see how fast the PCs can scramble to gain the lost Artifact of the Shadow King to stop the madness. That'll require some "out-of-the-box" thinking, my friend!

These suggestions are over-the-top (and a little more bitter than I thought), but they certainly illustrate my take on putting extra doses of "reality" in my game. Hey, I'm happy that a single sword thrust won't kill my 15th-level ranger! He's got a dragon to slay, and I've got enough trouble in real life dealing with 500 video stores who didn't get their copy of The Hot Chick on time. For crying out loud, people, take a copy of Deuce Bigalow and come back in two days!

I've got enough reality in my reality, thank you. Give me a little far-fetched fantasy to my escapism. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a princess to rescue before the High Priest reads this month's financial report.

--- Ende Zitat ---

Was meint ihr dazu?

Lord Verminaard:
Äh, was davon ist jetzt ernst gemeint und was als Verarschung? ???

Also Schnupfen und ungewollte Schwangerschaften gab's bei uns schon. Ich schätze allerdings, Mr. Bell hat auch das gar nicht ernst gemeint...

Selganor [n/a]:
Die Artikel im Dragon's Breath sind immer eine Gratwanderung zwischen ernsthaften Aussagen und Satire...

Es sind zumindest auch ein paar Denkanstoesse drin fuer diejenigen, die nur das uebliche "Missionsabenteuer - "Schaetze" verteilen - neu ausruesten - "Missionsabenteuer" Schema spielen...

critikus:
Einfach klasse!

Sehr böse, aber irgendwie gut getroffen. Ich will es mal ebenso überspitzt formulieren: diese Anmerkungen sollten sich die Freunde sog. "realistischer" Systeme auf der Zunge zergehen lassen. Realismus ist eben weit mehr als nur ziemlich komplizierte Regeln und ein schneller Tod.

(ich mag realistische Systeme nicht; ich bin Freund der cinematischen RPG, eben wegen ...siehe oben...) ;-)

critikus

Gast:
Naja momente mal;

man muß schon trennen zwischen realistischem System und realistischer Welt.
Ein realistisches System dürfte ziemlich schwerfällig sein, schließlich gilt es, alle möglichen Faktoren zu beachten. Bestes Beispiel dafür scheinen mir die MERS-Treffertabellen zu sein, bei dem extra aufgeschlüsselt wird, welche Waffe gegen welche Rüstung trifft, um den Schaden zu ermitteln. Leicht wird dies ziemlich buchhalterisch und meinem persönlichen Spielspaß abträglich. Insofern bevorzuge ich durchaus cinematischere Herangehensweisen.

Hinsichtlich der Welt aber bevorzuge ich doch deutlich realistische Settings.
Ich weiß nicht, wie bedeutend James Bell ist, aber seine Spüche sind ziemliche Dumpfbacken-Gags. Wo ist das Problem darin, einen Paladin (oder whatsoever) unehrenhaft aus dem Dienst zu entlassen oder ihn wegen Unfähigkeit in den Vorratskeller strafzuversetzen?
Aber ach ja: Ist ja alles Satire.
Hm.
Oder fehlen den Leuten einfach die Argumente bzw. die Ausreden dafür, weshalb sie immer wieder haarsträubend unrealistische Sets entwerfen, bei denen im einem Raum Goblins auf die Charaktere lauern und im Nachbarraum Beholder vor sich hinschweben (um mal ein typisches, antiquiertes und doch immer wieder auftauchendes Beispiel zu nennen)? Und ich glaube, genau das ist es, was vielen D'n'D-Welten vorgeworfen wird... Zu recht.

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln