Autor Thema: Licht aus fuer die Dark Ages  (Gelesen 1449 mal)

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
  • Username: Selganor
Licht aus fuer die Dark Ages
« am: 30.09.2004 | 10:42 »
Unter http://www.white-wolf.com/index.php?line=news&articleid=64 findet sich folgendes:

Dark Ages Game Line Wraps Up
Developer Chat on October 1

This, as they say, is it. Or to use another cliché, here we go again.

Not so very long ago, I found myself writing an essay to end Changeling: The Dreaming. And now, here I am doing the same thing for Dark Ages. I’ve got a lot less to say about Dark Ages, which is funny, considering that I did more work on this line.

Well, let’s start with the obvious answers. Before anybody starts wailing and gnashing teeth, pointing out that the master list of books on the web site listed four other Dark Ages titles (waaaaay back before Vampire: The Requiem was released), let me explain. We had originally budgeted for Dark Ages to continue on after the modern World of Darkness ended. We scheduled a normal eight-book run for 2004, and hired authors and so on…

…and then we really took a hard look at it, and decided that continuing Dark Ages just didn’t make a lot of sense. Yeah, it’s 800 years before the modern World of Darkness, and so not affected by the Time of Judgment directly. But it draws on the same continuity, and so keeping the line going, we felt, was going to be confusing to new players jumping into the exciting new worlds we’ve got planned, and a disservice to the work that we’ve put into the Time of Judgment.

That was the decision. It took a while for me to come around to it; there were some books that I really wanted to see done. But in the end, I had to bow to the wisdom of the folks making the decisions, and for the second time, here I am writing a brief essay about the end of a game line I really love.

The thing is, though, that Dark Ages isn’t at all incomplete. Between the five hard-covers detailing character types, the regional sourcebooks (most of which are centered around vampires, but are workable for other characters just the same), books like Right of Princes which are usable across the board, and the companion books like the Dark Ages: Mage Grimoire, there’s plenty of information and chronicle potential out there. The game line is ending, but that doesn’t mean your games have to, or should, end.

I hope they continue, and I wish you years of happy gaming!

— Matt McFarland, Dark Ages Developer

Matt pretty much said it all, but I wanted to add my two cents. I came to White Wolf as Dark Ages developer, picking up the line from the more-than-capable hands of Richard Dansky and had a wonderful time with the line. Getting a chance to revisit Constantinople and to spearhead the revision to Dark Ages: Vampire are highlights of my career. As fiction editor, I also oversaw the Dark Ages Clan Novels and that was just as much fun. I’d like to thank all the fans, writers, artists and readers who stuck with the line and helped make it the gem it is. We never could have done it without you. Thanks.

With Dark Ages: Fae and Devil’s Due, Matt has ensured that the line ends on very high notes indeed—no less than it deserves.

— Philippe Boulle, WW Marketing Director & former Dark Ages Developer

Join Matt and Philippe for a chat about Dark Ages this Friday, October 1st, at 4 p.m. Eastern.
Abraham Maslow said in 1966: "It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."

Online 1of3

• Richtiges Mädchen!
  • Titan
  • Proactive Scavenger
  • Username: 1of3
    • Sea Cucumbers and RPGs
Re: Licht aus fuer die Dark Ages
« Antwort #1 am: 30.09.2004 | 11:19 »
Buhuuuu. Ich hatte doch noch auf mehr Zeug für DA:Fae gehofft.

Und wenn die jetzt nicht mal ne zweite Auflage drucken, werden die Preise für das Werk ja explodieren. Hmmm. Vielleicht sollte ich mir n zweites Exemplar ziehen, dass ich dann gewinnbringend verscheuern kann....

Romaal

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 3.10.2004 | 23:15 »
Sowas nenn ich Kapitialismus! ;D

Naja, da wollte ich doch glatt Dark Ages anfangen und dann wird es gestoppt. Mal schaun.

Mc666Beth

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: 3.10.2004 | 23:23 »
Und in ein paar Monaten kündigen sie Dark Ages: WoD 2 an ...
Allerdinsg ahbe ich durch diese Aussage ne Pizza gewonne, da ich ne Wette mit eine Freund laufen hatte, dass Dark Ages kurz nach der Einführung  der Wod2 abgesetzt wird. Wenn die Wölfe Geld scheffeln dann richtig. Wobei ich nciht sagen will, dass man mit RPGs kein Geld verdienen darf.  ;)
Allerdings ist es schon fast dreist was die da veranstalten.

Offline Moghedin

• Blindfisch
  • Adventurer
  • How up do high knee!
  • Username: Moghedin
« Antwort #4 am: 4.10.2004 | 20:49 »
ICh hoffe nur das Feder und Schwert noch das Buch der hohen Clans rausbringen...  :(
Let us insigate the revolt, down with the system. -SOAD zealot1984

Online 1of3

• Richtiges Mädchen!
  • Titan
  • Proactive Scavenger
  • Username: 1of3
    • Sea Cucumbers and RPGs
« Antwort #5 am: 4.10.2004 | 22:43 »
Mhhmm. Den Abgrund-Okkultismus hätte ich auch noch gerne in der überarbeiteten Form.