Autor Thema: Changeling: The FATEd  (Gelesen 2791 mal)

Nin

• Gast
Changeling: The FATEd
« am: 5.04.2010 | 23:03 »
Wie sieht Changeling the Lost mit FATE aus?

Ich habe ein wenig in der FATE Yahoo Group nachgelesen, aber nur ein paar Anhaltspunkte gefunden.
Es reicht leider nicht, daß ich nachvollziehen könnte, wie sich die über 2000 Seiten CtL in FATE konvertieren lassen würden.

Die Welt von Dresden kenne ich leider auch nicht, von daher kann ich nicht beurteilen, ob Dresden Files möglicherweise einen Teil meiner Fragen beantworten werden.

Zitat
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FateRPG/msearch?query=fated&submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1

Ronny_Marx kd3ieMT\jd

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FateRPG/message/12306
Howdy!
I am very taken with White Wolf's Changeling: The Lost. I fact I consider it the best setting made for WoD (old or new).

However, I'm not a big fan of the rules system, so I've given some thought to converting it into FATE. Before I do so, I thought I'd better go pick RPG.net's great minds.

Have you tried something or the sort before? Would you go with some form of Stunts (like in Spirit of the Century) to emulate Contracts?

I'm inclined to leave them out, for simplicity's sake.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FateRPG/message/12310
Re: [FateRPG] Changeling: The FATEd

So, this is near and dear to my heart, since I have a great deal of love for the new changeling.  I've given it a little thought, and here's what stuck around:

* The phases of chargen should be
1. What family were you born into? (Childhood/youth)
2. What Family did you make for yourself? (Your life)
3. What was your time in Arcadia (Basically how were you taken and what did you do)
4. How did you escape?
5. What have you done since?

A game starting just after the escape should split #3 into "How were you taken" and "How did you Serve?" into two things, and ditch #5.  

In each step, I would probably mandate a few aspects.
#1 and 2 are most important for answering the implicit question "What did you come back for?", so in step #1 or #2, there must be at least one important NPC in the character's life (who can now be tied to the fetch) and, implicitly, an answer to that question.

In step 3, I would want one aspect to reflect your service, and this would equate to your kith. The existing kiths all make good templates, but you can open it up almost infinitely.  This aspect has two elements - how you were changed, and what you did.  This is a _burden_, so if you feel there's a danger that this may walk away from theme, one option is as follows - Whichever element the player defines (The nature of the change or the nature of the service) the GM defines the other.  Capricious...indeed, but apt.

Step 3 and 4 have the most opportunity for shared or overlapping aspects, especially in the case of a join escape.

Step 5 allows for court loyalties, if players are so inclined.

* The campaign as a whole should have at least two aspects on it - Keeper and Fetch.  "Hedge" is also a good campaign aspect, depending upon what you want to do with the game.

* I would keep the bargain rules pretty much entirely as is, at leas at a start. They're incredibly awesome, and bring a lot of uniqueness to the table.

* I would grant one stunt-equivalent gift based on the character's service in Arcadia.  Again, the kith abilities would probably be a good set of guidelines for these, but it's pretty open ended.  The only thing to be careful of - the Kith abilities are more potent when they're non-combat related.  That may or may not thematically suit your vision, but it's something to keep in mind.

* Contracts are a pretty big and open question, and there are a _lot_ of ways to handle them.  I wouldn't want to just ditch them, but if you want to simplify them, I would do the following.
- Merge the seasonal paths, so there's no longer greater and lesser summer, there's just summer and so on.
- Make each contract path a skill, and define what it can do more thematically, but use the dot levels as rough guidelines (with 1 dot == Average)
- Fueling them is an interesting question, that i'll get to next

* Aspects and Glamour
Ok, So glamour is curiously fiddly, and may or may not suit each game, but the glamour collection rules in C:tL are _so_ much better than they used to be, that It would be a shame to disregard them entirely, so here are two possible approaches.

First, in either case, run down your list of aspects and mark which ones are fae.  Your service will always be fae, but other things may or may not be.  Marking an aspect as Fae means that this is something that ties you to Arcadia, and that will make you more powerful, but also more vulnerable and tempting to the denizens of Arcadia.  An aspect marked as fae can be tagged to:
* Add an element in the hedge
* Enter someone's dream
* Seal a Pact
* Open a door to the hedge

It can be compelled to
* Draw attention to you in the Hedge
* Draw hunters after you
* Send you after faerie temptation

Fae aspects also fuel your glamour, and there are two ways to do this - simple and hard

Simple: To use a contract, you must either use the Catch or you must use a Fae aspect.  Once used, that aspect is no longer available to be tagged (though it may be compelled) until the character is in a position to gather glamour.    When in such a position, the GM sets a difficulty (Superb=not very emotionally resonant, Good= Meaningful or personal, but not both, Average=Meaningful and personal) and the character rolls whatever skill they feel apt, and may unlock a number of aspects equal to MoS.
(as a note, this method makes contract use rare or catch-dependant, and does not differentiate between small and great effects.  This may suit, but it may not:  One possible houserule is that effects that could be done with your contract level -2 are trivial, and don't need the expenditure)

More Complex: Your base Glamour is equal to the number of Fae aspects you have.  You generally start play with that much glamour, and can maintain up to double that amount.

Contracts cost a number of glamour based on their required level (average =1, fair=2 and so on).  Glamour is gathered in the same fashion outlined above, except each point of MoS grants one point of glamour.

If using this method, glamour may also be spent to tag Fae aspects, but not to resist compels.  If the GM wants to introduce an element of temptation. Fate points can be turned into glamour on a 1:1 basis, but the reverse is not true.

* Catches become more important, especially in the simple glamour model, and when players want to do improvisational things, creating catches on the fly can be rough.  To make it easier, remember that contracts are _deals_ being made with the world to behave differently than it should. That means that the deal is being made _with_ someone (or something) and so the catchshould be somethign it wants.

WARNING: Negotiation DRASTICALLY impacts the tone of your game! There may be a temptation to give inanimate objects personalities and have them haggle for their contracts.  This can be a lot of fun, but it also changes the very nature of the game into an ongoing negotiation with the inanimate.  Unless this is something you _know_ you want to add, avoid it.  Catches are simply known, and you pay them or don't - it's not a conversation.

(Option: More restrictive Catches - the character must have mysteries at least as high as the contract in question to know what the catch _is_)

* Goblin Contracts are awesome and I would keep them as is and just say that either a) Mysteries allows you to know all goblin contracts of appropriate level or b) players can just learn them by being told.  Or both.  That said, the more open you make them, the more license you have to make them unreliable or problematic.  Which is as it should be.

Anyway, that's probably less coherent than it would be with a proper writeup, but hopefully it makes for a good starting point.

-Rob D.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FateRPG/message/12311
Re: Changeling: The FATEd

Just wanted to add that I'm a big fan of C:tL too. So much so, in
fact, that I used the categories from Changeling in place of those
from Castle Falkenstein in my adaptation to Fate in SoS&S. (I also
added a few others from CF to fill holes not covered by C:tL types,
and used the name "Changling" itself to cover shapeshifting fae, so
it's not an exact conversion, nor was it meant to be, but it may give
you some ideas on how to handle the various types of Changelings
through Aspects.)

Samurai

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FateRPG/message/12337

Thank you very much. That was a very big help.

Offline Blechpirat

• Administrator
  • Titan
  • Username: Karsten
    • Richtig Spielleiten!
« Antwort #1 am: 5.04.2010 | 23:46 »
Ich kann leider nicht helfen, da ich Changeling nicht kenne. Aber Rob hat ja schon sehr ausführlich geantwortet. Wie gut kennst du Fate denn? Mit der Antwort von Rob kommt man ja schon ziemlich weit.

Nin

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 5.04.2010 | 23:51 »
Wie gut kennst du Fate denn? Mit der Antwort von Rob kommt man ja schon ziemlich weit.
So gut wie gar nicht. Ich hab mir 2.0 angesehen und lese hier mit... das reicht leider auf keinen Fall.

Nin

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: 13.04.2010 | 12:11 »
Kennt sich vielleicht jemand eher mit Changeling the Dreaming aus und könnte mir dabei helfen, das in Fate zu übertragen?

Offline Blechpirat

• Administrator
  • Titan
  • Username: Karsten
    • Richtig Spielleiten!
« Antwort #4 am: 13.04.2010 | 14:01 »
Meinst du nicht, du solltest vielleicht erstmal ein bischen FATE spielen, um die Sicherheit mit dem System zu haben, bevor du ein Stetting transportierst?

Übrigens dürfte The Dresden Files für dich ziemlich hilfreich sein.

Nin

• Gast
« Antwort #5 am: 13.04.2010 | 16:35 »
Meinst du nicht, du solltest vielleicht erstmal ein bischen FATE spielen, um die Sicherheit mit dem System zu haben, ....
Sobald sich dafür eine Chance bietet, werde ich die wahrnehmen.

...bevor du ein Stetting transportierst?
Würde es deutlich leichter machen, aber ist nach meiner praktischen Erfahrung nicht zwangsläufig notwendig. Es klappt auch ganz gut, wenn sich z.B. zwei Leute aus dem jeweiligen System intensiv austauschen.

Übrigens dürfte The Dresden Files für dich ziemlich hilfreich sein.
Da baue ich auch drauf.

Offline Funktionalist

• Kamillos Erfindung
  • Mythos
  • Klatuu Veratuu..... äh
  • Username: DestruktiveKritik
« Antwort #6 am: 13.04.2010 | 17:15 »
Da kannst du doch fast Alles über die Powers und die Hungerregeln laufen lassen, oder?