Autor Thema: D&D Next  (Gelesen 230542 mal)

Humpty Dumpty

• Gast
D&D Next
« am: 9.01.2012 | 14:59 »
Check this.

Was ich neben den geradezu revolutionären Ankündigungen unfassbar Cooles gelernt habe: Stephen Colbert spielt D&D. YEAH!
« Letzte Änderung: 6.09.2013 | 13:24 von Selganor »

Ranor

• Gast
Re: D&D5: Here we go!
« Antwort #1 am: 9.01.2012 | 15:02 »
Stephen Colbert spielt D&D. YEAH!
Das betont er in seiner Sendung ziemlich oft.

evil bibu

• Gast
« Antwort #2 am: 9.01.2012 | 15:04 »
auch interessant:

http://cyric.de/rollenspiel-blog/hasbros-einflu%C3%9F-auf-wotc-die-zukunft-des-rollenspielmarkts

@tafkakb: was siehst du denn da revolutionäres?

Samael

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: 9.01.2012 | 15:04 »
Aufregend!

Offline 1of3

• Richtiges Mädchen!
  • Titan
  • Proactive Scavenger
  • Username: 1of3
    • Sea Cucumbers and RPGs
« Antwort #4 am: 9.01.2012 | 15:23 »
Spannend find ich die Behauptung, dass "Edition Wars" es schwierig machen eine Spielrunde zu finden. Edition Wars schaden dem Absatz der aktuellen Edition und deshalb sind sie schlecht für den Herausgeber. Für die Spieler, die sich nicht zufällig am Trollen und Flammen in Internetzforen beteiligen, sind sie aber wohl eher eine Randerscheinung.

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
  • Username: Selganor
« Antwort #5 am: 9.01.2012 | 15:29 »
Interessanter Artikel... besonders der letzte Absatz:

Zitat
Even if players increasingly bring their iPads, loaded with Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks, to the gaming table.
War der Verkauf der D&D 4 Grundbuecher als PDFs doch erfolgreicher als erwartet? ;D

Aber zum Thema: Es wundert mich schon, dass so eine Ankuendigung "einfach so" mitten zwischen den Cons kommen soll...

Geruechteweise sollte ja auf dem letzten GenCon eine grosse Ankuendigung gewesen sein von der man vorher NIX verraten hat und die dann doch noch kurz vor der Ankuendigung ersatzlos gestrichen wurde. Evtl. haben sie ja noch ein paar Monate gebraucht bis es "spruchreif" war.

Kurze Recherche (Countdown Timer auf ENWorld hat noch weniger als 1/2 Stunde, Morrus hat im ENWorld-Thread bestaetigt, dass die NYT sich nicht an NDAs gehalten hat) hat ergeben dass es wohl doch stimmt.

Wer das offizielle Statement von WotC lesen will (und sich fuer Vorabinfos anmelden will): http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20120109

Update: Kaum dass der Counter bei ENWorld abgelaufen ist schon geht der Server in die Knie ;D
« Letzte Änderung: 9.01.2012 | 16:04 von Selganor »
Abraham Maslow said in 1966: "It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."

Offline kalgani

• Legend
  • Die Bibliothek des unnützen Wissens
  • Username: kalgani
« Antwort #6 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:14 »
Zitat
James W. Ward, a game designer and former vice president of TSR Inc., the company that originally published D&D, wrote in an e-mail. “The fun of growing a character while your friends do the same thing around a table munching on M&M’s and other snacks is difficult to duplicate.”

Der kursiv geschrieben Teil bringt es auf den Punkt warum P&P einfach doch cooler ist als jedes MMO. :D

Anscheinend hat der Erfolg von PF bei WotC was bewirkt.
Es wird nun der Kunde mal gefragt was er denn wirklich haben möchte, gut so!

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
« Antwort #7 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:17 »
Damit die Server nicht noch mehr ueberlastet werden, hier mal die drei Artikel (ausnahmsweise im Volltext):

Artikel 1: http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/316036-off-see-wizards-day-wizards-coast-showed-me-d-d-5th-edition.html

Off to see the Wizards: The day that WotC showed me D&D 5th Edition

It was a pretty normal day in early winter last year. I was waiting to see if I could get a few questions answered by Mike Mearls, head of R&D for Wizards of the Coast. I heard the ping of an e-mail and saw that it was from my contact for Wizards. The e-mail said that I could ask Mike a couple of questions personally if I was available to come out to Renton, WA, where WotC is headquartered. It seemed that WotC had something big coming up and wanted to tell a few press types in person. They would even fly me out and put me up on their dime. I was excited; this wasn't the kind of opportunity which simply knocked - it blew the door off the hinges. Of course, I had to sign an NDA on behalf of EN World, so I knew we would have to sit on the information for a while and resist revealing it as the RPG community speculated around us!

So I got my things together and with my backpack bursting I headed to the airport and boarded a plane. I had a list of the other media who had been invited to whatever this was (we still had no idea what was going to happen or be said), so I cyber stalked them. CNN, Forbes, Wired.com, amongst other huge news outlets had been invited. When I arrived I instantly recognized Topher Kohan from CNN waiting for the shuttle to the hotel so I chatted him up. He was really funny and a hardcore gamer like myself, so we speculated on what it could be and talked RPGs during the ride and in the lobby for an hour or so before it was time to go to bed.

I was restless and couldn't sleep. Thanks to a successful moderate Streetwise check, I knew the hotel was across the parking lot from the Wizards of the Coast headquarters. Even though it was rather chilly outside (early December in Seattle) I donned my Batman hoodie and went out to investigate the building's exterior in the dark of night. I could see the massive purple neon sign boldly lighting up the sky and as I circled the building it dawned on me that I didn't need to break in. I had been invited and in the morning WotC would let me in. I took a couple of pictures and returned to my hotel room.

In the morning I was up before my alarm and looking over my notes. I had several sets of questions prepared since I had no idea why I had been invited. One set of notes in case Hasbro had decided to sell the Dungeons & Dragons license or anything to that effect. Another set of questions in case it was the live launch of the Virtual Game Table, and another in case it was.... 5th Edition D&D. About an hour before we were to leave I headed down to the restaurant to get a bite to eat and ran into Ethan Gilsdorf and Greg Tito as well as Topher Kohan again. We all kind of speculated a few moments on things and then it was off to see the Wizards.

So we were led over to the building and into a conference room on the first floor. I got a cup of coffee and settled in to my chair, laptop at the ready. It was then that a couple of people from Wizards of the Coasts came in and checked on us and then Mike Mearls, head of R&D followed a minute or so later. Now I was even more interested because this meant it wasn't something to do with the Virtual Table or some sort of merger.

Well, colorspray me stunned when 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons was officially announced.

Indeed it had been under development on for some time, completely under wraps (although not immune to rumor), and while continuing to produce product of 4th Edition. Then they really dropped the big news: I was going to play an early, very rough, development version of 5th Edition.

We took the elevator up to the offices on the 4th floor. It was a lot bigger than I would have imagined and there was some excellent artwork and statues (see pics). Seemed like a fun place to work even though everyone seemed really busy. I took some pictures of the lobby and then went to a conference room to play 5th Edition. Yep, that's right: I went to play D&D 5th Edition.

The above mentioned journalists plus David Dewalt of Forbes formed the rest of the players with Mike Mearls as the DM. It was fun. I didn't know that my dwarf voice sounded like Christian Bale's Batman, so I learned something new. I wish I could detail the mechanics here, but WotC has specifically asked us not to do so - the game is early in its development, and nothing is set in stone yet. I hadn't played with players I wasn't familiar with in a good while, so it felt great to get to mix and mingle with some different gamers and play a new game. Mike was a really fun DM, and all the players were extremely entertained.

Then I got some one-on-one time with Mike Mearls. This was excellent as it allowed me to talk about RPGs and what Mike enjoys about gaming. Mike answered all my questions about his gaming habits, where he saw D&D going in the future and which pieces of its past were important to keep. He also listened to what I liked and disliked about 4th Edition, D&D, and RPGs in general (don't forget about the warlord or some other way to heal other than cleric).

D&D 5th Edition is coming! (though you have plenty of time)

So, EN World is excited to officially announce to the role-playing game community (and the galaxy at large) that indeed there is, indeed, a 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons currently under development. Or, more precisely - we can officially confirm once and for all that all those rumours you've been hearing since Gen Con last year are completely true, and that WotC is now happy for you to know it!

With the 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast is seeking to "create a rule set that enables players of all types and styles to play a D&D game together by taking the best of each edition and getting at the soul of what D&D is." I did get an opportunity to playtest some of the materials and the above statement is not too far off; it felt, in many ways, very retro. The project has been given a code name inside WotC, but we have been asked not to reveal that code name at this time (it begins with an "I" though!) The new edition will be designed as a basic rules set which can be expanded upon with stack on rules to suit the tastes of mechanics complexity to suite the players and DMs.

Wizards will be doing several rounds of playtesting for this project in the coming months. In addition, they will continue to encourage discussion through Monte Cook’s weekly Legends & Lore column, other articles, and through community discussion threads. Additional details about playtesting will be available shortly, and you can expect to see some elements of 5E at DDXP this year. Admitting that they have learned from the past, WotC's playtests will be much more open than with 4th Edition and you can hear all about this in WotC Seeks Unity With 5th Edition.

The Forgotten Realms will be supported from the start, and a video game art studio from China has been hired to fully detail the Realms. I asked if going forward support would be continued for the current time after the Spellplague and the Neverwinter Campaign. A WotC spokesperson answered, "The Forgotten Realms has a rich history and we will support all of it. It is for the gamers to decide which time they would enjoy playing in." That would allow Wizards to take advantage of a massive back catalog of products; however, there are no current plans that we know of for other settings - we assume these will follow in later years.

When will we learn more?

Soon! We've been asked not to share everything we learned quite yet, but in the coming months you'll hear plenty of information about release dates, products, marketing plans, new and old distribution models, mechanics, playtests, and more.

Why so secretive? Well, nothing is yet set in stone. An initial but incomplete rules draft exists, marketing plans are being finalized, and everything is subject to change based on fan feedback - which they hope to gather in a structured way over the coming months. Even the name is not necessarily finalized.

It's been tough holding this news in while surrounded by an internet maelstrom of rumor and speculation; NDAs are like that. And there is a bunch of stuff we're still not permitted to reveal (mainly pertaining to the mechanics we playtested - darnit, we had photos of the pregenerated cleric's character sheet used in the playtest! - and the specific marketing and distribution plans which WotC revealed to us) but I'm sure we'll be able to talk about some of that very soon. We fully expect that DDXP later this month will reveal much.

See this page at wizards.com for WotC's own reveal, where you can also sign up for playtests.
Abraham Maslow said in 1966: "It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
« Antwort #8 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:19 »
Artikel 2: http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/316069-wizards-coast-seeks-unity-new-edition.html

WotC Seeks Unity with a New Edition

One thing made clear by Mike Mearls and other WotC staff at the "WotC Summit" last year - at which they formally confirmed to us that they were working on a new edition of D&D - is that they intend to do it very differently this time around. The approach to the development of 5th Edition (or whatever it ends up being called - it's referred to by a code name at WotC, or by phrases such as "a new iteration"; there's an implication there that simply calling it a "new edition" may be underselling their goals which appear to be more inclusive of all D&D players and which we hope to be able to share soon) is very specifically planned to be inclusive of fans, with the ultimate goal of having the fans actually help shape the new edition.

They've never done this before - at least, not to this degree; it's a very different process to that used with previous iterations of the game. But it was made clear that they really, really, really want to put out a game that is unifying rather than divisive; that caters - as much as possible - to as many as possible. And which is, ultimately, a game that all D&D players, whatever their preferred flavor, will want to play. And so they intend to engage the community to an unprecedented level.

During a conversation last month, Mike Mearls, head of R&D for Dungeons & Dragons, made this comparison: "D&D is like the wardrobe you use to go to Narnia." I wrote it down so as to remember it. I was fortunate to have an opportunity to do some playtesting for the fledgling 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons with Mike Mearls as the DM and by the end of the event I really felt that is what Wizards was attempting to do with the new edition.

Wizards of the Coast described the goal of the new iteration of D&D in the following way: "The goal of this project is to develop a universal rules system that takes from the best of every edition and get at the soul of what D&D is. What better way to do that than to look to the fans to help us in this effort?" This is more revealing than it looks: WotC has acknowledged publicly that they made mistakes in the buildup to 4E, and has learned important lessons from that period.

That's why the buildup period of the new edition will be far more inclusive than ever before. Fan feedback and public playtests are a core part of WotC's strategy this time around. In their own words, "This is a whole new process for Wizards and we’re excited to enlist the fan base to help shape the future of D&D." They intend to engage the fans in a way they have never done before; and summarize their approach most clearly when they say "this process is an opportunity for fans to help us craft a new edition and help determine how the game is played moving forward." In many ways, this really is an exciting new approach to designing a new edition of the game; and it's exciting for us fans because this time we aren't just spectators waiting for scraps of information - we're going to be part of the process. We're going to have opportunities to take part in playtests (and these very soon - we're not talking months in the future here), and respond to specific questions or concepts. For sure, DDXP is going to be an exciting convention this year for those who are able to attend. There is a new edition playtest called Caves of Chaos at the event, which you can find details about here - "Join the first public playtest of the next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. The playtest offers players the chance to run pre-generated 1st-level characters through the Caves of Chaos, a four-hour D&D adventure. Wizards of the Coast staff will be running several tables each day. As part of the playtest, participants must sign a special non-dislcosure agreement for playtesters."

You've already seen some preliminary elements of this process in the Legends & Lore columns, although I personally feel it's a mistake to look at those columns and conclude that you know what the new edition is going to shape up like. Those columns aren't previews of what they're doing; they're a way of floating concepts out there and seeing what you think. Some are popular; others less so, and this is important. I feel it's vital not just to find some things that gamers want in their new D&D, but also to discover what they definitely don't want.

WotC also wanted to emphasize its commitment to tabletop face-to-face gaming. There are many, many rumors flying round the web, and much speculation; a lot of this is centered around an expectation of a more digital, online focus. WotC stated clearly "[We are] extremely committed to tabletop gaming and the face to face experiences that D&D brings." There is clear recognition that although digital tools can enhance and supplement a game, the company has not lost sight of the fact that D&D is a tabletop roleplaying game, and not a digital experience.

I encourage you to write them, to post about them, to be active on the message boards here at EN World, the Wizards of the Coast site, and elsewhere (but mainly here). The idea of getting fan feedback to help craft the newest edition of the godfather of role-playing games should excite anyone who plays or has played D&D in the past. Make sure you get signed up for the playtest and keep giving feedback on the Legends & Lore columns. I suggest voicing your opinion in a positive way; if you really want to help shape this game - and you can - please try not to actively alienate the folks who are attempting to engage you. This news will stir up some fervor and Wizards of the Coast expects this. Keep in mind that we are a community and all share a passion for the same hobby. There are no right or wrong answers, just your opinions.

You can expect to see this development process much more clearly very soon. The playtests can already be signed up for (see the link above); DDXP is going to be very exciting; and in the coming months you'll be able to witness - and participate in - something which is new to us, and new to WotC. It's an exciting time to be a D&D player!

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
« Antwort #9 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:19 »
Artikel 3: http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/316074-bet-you-wish-your-workplace-looked-like-wizards-coast.html

Enthaelt keinen Text sondern "nur" einige Bilder von den Bueros und der Arbeitsumgebung. (Die kopiere ich nicht)

Offline kalgani

• Legend
« Antwort #10 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:20 »
Die Umfragen bei Legends & Lore galten also schon einer wegfindung für eine neue edition und waren nicht umsonst gestellt worden wie mancher unkte...

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
« Antwort #11 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:21 »
Es wird nun der Kunde mal gefragt was er denn wirklich haben möchte, gut so!
WotC hat mit der Kundenbefragung angefangen. TSR hat damals einfach produziert bevor sie wussten, ob es ueberhaupt irgendwelche Kunden fuer die Buecher gibt...

Offline Grubentroll

• Famous Hero
  • ...back from Trollhalla
  • Username: Grubentroll
« Antwort #12 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:29 »
Heisst das nicht, mal ganz naiv gefragt, dass die 4th Ed brutalst in die Hose gegangen ist?

2 Jahre oder was das jetzt waren ist ja ne irre kurze Zeit.

Sorry, wenn das blöde Fragen/Feststellungen sind, aber ich kriege von D&D eigentlich nix mehr mit (obwohls mein Lieblingssystem in den 80ern/90ern war).

Offline kalgani

• Legend
« Antwort #13 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:30 »
Aber nicht in diesem Rahmen der nun über das I-Net möglich ist, oder?

die 4E wird dieses Jahr immerhin 4 Jahre jung.

Samael

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:32 »
Heisst das nicht, mal ganz naiv gefragt, dass die 4th Ed brutalst in die Hose gegangen ist?

Zumindest wurden die Erwartungen von Hasbro nicht erfüllt.

Siehe: www.enworld.org/forum/5765766-post205.html

Zitat
2 Jahre oder was das jetzt waren ist ja ne irre kurze Zeit.

4 Jahre bis jetzt. Und bis die neue Edi kommt, gehen wohl noch weitere 1-2 ins Land.
Trotzdem: Für eine D&D Edition ist das sehr sehr kurz. Und für die 4E sind nur geschätzte 10% der Bücher veröffentlicht orden wie für die 3E.
« Letzte Änderung: 9.01.2012 | 16:34 von Samael »

Offline Selganor [n/a]

• Titan
« Antwort #15 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:41 »
Siehe: www.enworld.org/forum/5765766-post205.html
Jeder der sich ein wenig mit den Hintergruenden von WotC/D&D auseinandersetzen will sollte sich zumindest diesen Artikel mal durchlesen. Da werden doch (von einem "Insider") verschiedenste Sachen angesprochen die so wohl kaum nach Aussen gedrungen sind.

Interessant (und neu) fuer mich:
- Gesamtgewinn D&D liegt bei unter $30 Mio (man vergleiche das mal mit Filmen oder Videospielen)
- WotC kriegt irgendwelche Gewinne von D&D Computerspielen NICHT in ihren Gewinn angerechnet (Koennte sich evtl. jetzt bei Neverwinter aendern?)

Offline Grubentroll

• Famous Hero
  • ...back from Trollhalla
  • Username: Grubentroll
« Antwort #16 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:45 »
Ja, sehr interessante Beiträge.

Aber das mit den vier Jahren krieg ich "gefühlt" nicht ganz unter, muss ich zugeben. Kann aber in Wirklichkeit so sein, ja.

Mich als alten Sack und 1rst Ed und 2nd Ed Spieler hat die 4te überhaupt nicht angemacht (bei der dritten habe ich schon nicht mehr rollengespielt damals, bin ja erst vor zwei Jahren wieder zurück ins Hobby gekommen.)

Das hatte für mich nichts mehr mit D&D zu tun.

Offline Sashael

• Gimli des Radsports
  • Titan
  • Username: Sashael
« Antwort #17 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:47 »
Wen sie die "Spieler" fragen, werd ich mit der 5th Ed nicht glücklich werden. Denn dann kommen solche Würgreizverursacher wie Zauber memorieren und Godmode Fullcaster zurück.
"Ja natürlich ist das Realitätsflucht. Was soll daran schlecht sein? Haben Sie sich die Realität in letzter Zeit mal angesehen? Sie ist grauenhaft!"

Leitet Itras By mit Battlemap. ;D

Offline kalgani

• Legend
« Antwort #18 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:54 »
Eventuell schaffen sie es einfach die ganzen spells die die welt aus den Angeln heben mal zu killen!
DAS wäre ein fortschritt  ;D (und ja lasst mich bitte weiter träumen)

Offline Sashael

• Gimli des Radsports
  • Titan
  • Username: Sashael
« Antwort #19 am: 9.01.2012 | 16:57 »
Eventuell schaffen sie es einfach die ganzen spells die die welt aus den Angeln heben mal zu killen!
DAS wäre ein fortschritt  ;D (und ja lasst mich bitte weiter träumen)
[hopecrusher ON]
Sie wollen die Spieler fragen.
[hopecrusher OFF]
"Ja natürlich ist das Realitätsflucht. Was soll daran schlecht sein? Haben Sie sich die Realität in letzter Zeit mal angesehen? Sie ist grauenhaft!"

Leitet Itras By mit Battlemap. ;D

Offline Korig

• Famous Hero
  • Username: Korig
« Antwort #20 am: 9.01.2012 | 17:01 »
Sehr intressant. Ich freu mich auf die 5th Edition, auch wenn es noch lange hin ist.

Online 6

• Der Rote Ritter
  • Titan
  • So schnell schiesst der Preuß nicht
  • Username: Christian Preuss
    • Miami Files
« Antwort #21 am: 9.01.2012 | 17:04 »
@Sashael:
Nein. Sie wollen ein Regelwerk anbieten und das mit Spielerinput anpassen.
Wichtiger Unterschied!

Von daher wartet doch erstmal ab, bis die ersten Regeln vorgeführt werden!
Ich bin viel lieber suess als ich kein Esel sein will...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nicht Sieg sollte der Zweck der Diskussion sein, sondern
Gewinn.

Joseph Joubert (1754 - 1824), französischer Moralist

Online Arldwulf

• Mythos
  • Username: Arldwulf
« Antwort #22 am: 9.01.2012 | 17:09 »
D&D4 hat eine Menge verbessert, und ich kann mir auch nicht vorstellen das davon allzuviel weggeworfen wird. Aber es gibt halt noch eine Menge interessante Dinge die noch nicht umgesetzt sind, und viele Konzepte aus früheren Zeiten können die 4e ziemlich bereichern.

4e Mechanik mit ein wenig mehr AD&D Mentalität - das wäre schick.

Aber bis sich dort wirklich etwas herausbildet wird es ja ohnehin noch lange Dauern.

Offline Oberkampf

• Storytellerpetausbrüter
  • Legend
  • Fais Attention!
  • Username: Tümpelritter
« Antwort #23 am: 9.01.2012 | 17:23 »
Wen sie die "Spieler" fragen, werd ich mit der 5th Ed nicht glücklich werden. Denn dann kommen solche Würgreizverursacher wie Zauber memorieren und Godmode Fullcaster zurück.

Das befürchte ich auch. Schade, jetzt habe ich gerade mit D&D wieder angefangen und freue mich tierisch über die Möglichkeiten der 4E, da wird etwas angekündigt, was in meinen Ohren nach Zurückrudern zur 3E klingt. Hoffentlich wird es nicht ganz so schlimm! Hoffentlich vergeht vorher noch viel Zeit!
Dans un quartier qui est triste à tuer
Prends des bombes de peinture et bombe tout
Ecris se que tu penses sur les murs!
Couleurs sur Paris...nanana...
Il est temps de changer... na nana na

Offline Korig

• Famous Hero
  • Username: Korig
« Antwort #24 am: 9.01.2012 | 17:29 »
Das befürchte ich auch. Schade, jetzt habe ich gerade mit D&D wieder angefangen und freue mich tierisch über die Möglichkeiten der 4E, da wird etwas angekündigt, was in meinen Ohren nach Zurückrudern zur 3E klingt. Hoffentlich wird es nicht ganz so schlimm! Hoffentlich vergeht vorher noch viel Zeit!

Die 4th kannst du doch trotzdem weiterspielen :)