Autor Thema: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist  (Gelesen 13641 mal)

Offline Rhylthar

• Dämon des Kaufrauschgottes
  • Titan
  • Username: Rhylthar
Re: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
« Antwort #50 am: 30.09.2018 | 11:16 »
Sorgen musst Du Dir wohl keine machen, ein totaler Fehlkauf wird es nicht werden.  ;)
“Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” - Mark Twain

"Naja, ich halte eher alle FATE-Befürworter für verkappte Chemtrailer, die aufgrund der Kiesowschen Regierung in den 80er/90er Jahren eine Rollenspielverschwörung an allen Ecken wittern und deswegen versuchen, möglichst viele noch rechtzeitig auf den rechten Weg zu bringen."

Für alle, die Probleme mit meinem Nickname haben, hier eine Kopiervorlage: Rhylthar.

Offline Weltengeist

• spielt, um zu vergessen
  • Mythos
  • Kaufabenteueranpasser
  • Username: Weltengeist
« Antwort #51 am: 30.09.2018 | 11:31 »
Ich kann da zwar keinen Farb aber einen Formatierungsfehler entdecken nämlich fettgedruckt statt normal.

Bei mir ist das auch. Das ist aber glaube ich kein Fettdruck, sondern die rote Farbe ist etwas anders ausgerichtet als die schwarze, so dass es wie Fettdruck (oder richtiger noch: wie "Rote Schrift mit Schatten") wirkt.

Wäre mir aber wohl gar nicht groß aufgefallen, wenn Rhylthar es nicht erwähnt hätte.
"Wenn ich in Unterleuten eins gelernt habe, dann dass jeder Mensch ein eigenes Universum bewohnt, in dem er von morgens bis abends recht hat." (Juli Zeh, Unterleuten)

Spielt derzeit: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (Savage Worlds - Prismeer), Troubleshooter (Savage Worlds - Starfinder)
In Vorbereitung: -

Offline Rhylthar

• Titan
« Antwort #52 am: 30.09.2018 | 11:33 »
Bei mir ist das auch. Das ist aber glaube ich kein Fettdruck, sondern die rote Farbe ist etwas anders ausgerichtet als die schwarze, so dass es wie Fettdruck (oder richtiger noch: wie "Rote Schrift mit Schatten") wirkt.

Wäre mir aber wohl gar nicht groß aufgefallen, wenn Rhylthar es nicht erwähnt hätte.
Ich dachte heute morgen im Bett, ich wäre betrunken oder müsste mal wieder meine Augen kontrollieren lassen.  ;D
“Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” - Mark Twain

"Naja, ich halte eher alle FATE-Befürworter für verkappte Chemtrailer, die aufgrund der Kiesowschen Regierung in den 80er/90er Jahren eine Rollenspielverschwörung an allen Ecken wittern und deswegen versuchen, möglichst viele noch rechtzeitig auf den rechten Weg zu bringen."

Für alle, die Probleme mit meinem Nickname haben, hier eine Kopiervorlage: Rhylthar.

Offline Mr. Ohnesorge

• Mythos
  • Nordlicht
  • Username: Grinder
« Antwort #53 am: 30.09.2018 | 12:36 »
Sorgen musst Du Dir wohl keine machen, ein totaler Fehlkauf wird es nicht werden.  ;)

Ich bin gespannt!
"These things are romanticized, but in the end they're only colorful lies." - This Is Hell, Polygraph Cheaters

Offline Mr. Ohnesorge

• Mythos
  • Nordlicht
« Antwort #54 am: 2.10.2018 | 10:55 »
Die Spannung ist unerträglich. Los jetzt! ;D
"These things are romanticized, but in the end they're only colorful lies." - This Is Hell, Polygraph Cheaters

Offline Mr. Ohnesorge

• Mythos
  • Nordlicht
« Antwort #55 am: 2.10.2018 | 10:58 »
Zitat
While allowing that mystery or intrigue adventures present the highest bar in RPG design, WotC doesn't get close to clearing it. Here are my main disagreements with it.

1. As is often the case with WotC's mega-adventures, organization and presentation of information is a mess. Key details about the villains' motivations are buried in the appendix containing their stats, when it would make much more sense to have that information up front so that the DM can immediately grasp the situation. WotC insists on sticking with the traditional two-columns-and-paragraphs-of-text style, but it would be so much more helpful in play if there were short, bullet lists of information that a DM could reference at the table. I would have loved to see relationship maps connecting different NPCs and factions.

2. The adventure is perhaps the most restrictive railroad that WotC has ever published, especially the fourth chapter that is getting most of the praise as "innovative." In the fourth chapter, there's text instructing the DM to prevent the sentient magical McGuffin from working for the PCs if they obtain it "early." To me, that reads as, "Until they've finished the series of encounters we've prescribed." The inciting incident in the third chapter has a gossamer-thin connection to anything that the party has done in the first or second chapters. So much of the text describing the events of the adventure are written in the future tense. Stuff like, "The party will have this encounter, then follow this clue, then have this conversation, then end up at this location." There's no allowance or guidance made for DMs and players who might want to chart their own course. There are allusions several times that give DMs permission to adjust, re-arrange, or just throw out encounters that they don't like. That's fine, but why did I buy this book if you aren't going to give me tools to support me?

3. The text presents a confusing picture of what the role of the villains is supposed to be. When I say villains, I mean the marquee names, not their lieutenants. The text (and the villains' stats) make it clear that a party of 5th level adventurers shouldn't confront the villains in combat. We're talking about a beholders and an 18th level wizard with a Staff of Power. Chapters 5-8 present descriptions (mini-dungeons) for each villain's lair, but the text also makes it clear that you might never use these chapters. They're primarily there so that if the villains somehow get their hands on the magical McGuffin, the PCs might infiltrate the lair to recover it. But in each case, the McGuffin is described as being in the most inaccessible part of the villain's lair such that you must almost certainly confront the villain to obtain the McGuffin. So large sections of the text are dangled in front of the DM, but they're not needed for the story and are good TPK environments if they do come into play.

4. The authors present some potential ideas for neutralizing the influence of your adventure's chosen villain, but inexplicably buries that information in Chapters 5-8, which are described as optional. These ideas are intended to be ideas for non-combat tactics that the party might use to fight back against the villain without risking their necks. But the text doesn't make it clear why the party would ever need to consider these tactics. The core of the adventure is in Chapters 3 - 4 and I can easily imagine completing them, finding the vault, and never needing to use the alternate tactics. Well, that's not quite true. At the climax of the adventure, there could be a need to use some of these ideas, but there's no clear line drawn between them in the text.

5. Some villains are comically absent from the text. The Cassalanters and Manshoon, in particular, could conceivably never appear "on screen" during the adventure. For the Cassalanters, in particular, there's no organic place for them to appear in the adventure until the end of Chapter 3, when the DM would dramatically reveal their name and the party would ask, in confusion, "Who? Why should we be worried?"

6. A lot of the story's background, both in the broad and detail strokes, isn't properly thought through. I don't read a ton of mystery novels, but I was immediately able to spot inconsistencies or bizarre assumptions in the timeline and events. NPC motivations are unbelievable in several cases, especially towards the end. It's almost as though they unconsciously know that their adventure railroad is so strong that they don't really need to sweat those details. I understand that this is a published adventure and that it has to be somewhat railroad-y. But this is on another level entirely.

What's most clear about Dragon Heist is that the designers approached their task from a uniquely fixed and traditionalist approach to D&D adventure writing. What's most disappointing is that it's written as if systems like Gumshoe or Justin Alexander's celebrated Three-Clue Rule techniques don't exist. Other RPG designers have tackled the problems of presenting satisfying mysteries and investigations for play, but you'd never know it by reading Dragon Heist. You could probably find an adventure written and published just like this in old print copies of Dungeon Magazine, maybe written by Chris Perkins. Maybe that's the problem?

rpg.net

Offline Mr. Ohnesorge

• Mythos
  • Nordlicht
« Antwort #56 am: 2.10.2018 | 11:05 »
Zitat
My personal feeling is that this is an excellent adventure, possibly the best one that WOTC has done since Lost Mines of Phandelver, and a fantastic, low-level urban experience. It's not perfect, but the good overwhelms the bad. Some thoughts (in no particular order):

1) the name is a bit misleading. It's not a classic heist in the mode of Ocean's Eleven. It's really a crime comedy like Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. There's this thing that all these different, colourful baddies want and the PCs get mixed up in a mixup of competing factions and agendas.

2) The adventure is "modular" in that the DM chooses the primary antagonist and plot, leaving the others out. It reminds me a lot of Nights Black Agents and the Dracula Dossier in this respect. I think that's a mistake - you should choose a primary plot, but try to cram as many of the other plots in as possible. Henchmen from one baddie should be tripping over henchmen from another all the time.

3) I love that the adventure is both low-stakes and over-the top simultaneously. In the end, it's just about money. There are no realm-shaking events, no cultists bringing around the end of the world. At the same time, the party has a very real chance to end up with a half million GP (and all the problems that come with such a massive hoard). If your players are into Realmslore or the novels, they can interact in a substantive manner with some of the biggest NPCs in the setting, either as allies or antagonists (and likely even survive). More importantly, the PCs don't feel like they are just minions being sent on fetch quests by someone who could better handle the problem themselves. I also think it's great that low level characters get to do more than just fight giant rats in a old woman's basement.

4) Players will love getting the tavern as a home base, and running a business. It's a natural generator of subplots.

5) It's not a model of organizational clarity, but it's not too hard to look things up. Most importantly, it's enjoyable to read. If as a DM, I can't get through the book at least once, I'm very unlikely to bring it to my table. Most adventures (including those put out by WOTC, Paizo) bore me to tears, but I read through Dragon Heist in a weekend.

6) The main adventure is definitely a rail-road, but it includes lots of side-quests (faction materials, running the tavern) to help break it up its linear nature and give the players options. The four villain bases are completely open, to be used as the DM sees fit. Like most linear adventures, there is a risk of the adventure stalling, but the book does provide some guidance on how to jumpstart the plot where necessary.

7) As a stand-alone, I don't think a DM will be able to use all the material. However, my suspicion is that a lot of this additional material will be of great use with the Dungeon of the Mad Mage comes out. There will be fallout from the DragonHeist that carries forward, creating all sorts of organic plot-points. Many of the enemies that the party made previously will still be around, meaning that the city above will be almost as dangerous as Undermountain.

8) By WOTC standards, this is a very experimental, event-driven adventure. It is crammed full of chases, role-playing encounters and interesting action set-pieces. Some people have suggested that the module include innovations coming from games like Leverage or Gumshoe (although in my mind, the most obvious game to borrow from is Fiasco), but I think that an unrealistic expectation for D&D. Heck, even urban campaigns are rare enough. (Paizo has done some). If you want investigation or heist mechanics, there are already some low-cost supplements on DMs Guild which will insert them into your Dragon Heist campaign.

9) Although the adventure is pretty light-hearted, it's not as kid-friendly as one might think. The Cassalanter pilot is actually pretty dark. There is some surprising "adult situations" in the adventure, which may give some DMs pause if running the game for younger players. I'm not talking about the gender identities of some of the NPCs (kids tend to be more open-minded than adults), but the literal menage a trois that the party can stumble upon. Another room location is painted with explicit orgy scenes. Maybe not the adventure I would choose for a school's lunch hour program.

10) In summary, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. It provides enough support for even relatively novice DMs to run a very memorable and non-traditional mini-campaign for low level characters, and the book will function as a mini-sourcebook for Waterdeep when the adventure is over. Having read all the 5E adventure paths (and played or DMed more than half of them), this one is clearly my favourite.

ebenfalls rpg.net

Offline La Cipolla

• Fate-Scherge
  • Legend
  • Username: La Cipolla
    • Los Muertos – Ein Rollenspiel mit Skeletten!
« Antwort #57 am: 2.10.2018 | 12:14 »
Solche Widersprüche fixen mich immer tausendmal mehr an als irgendein positiver Konsens. *__*;; Meistens heißt das nämlich übersetzt: "Wenn das Produkt auf die richtige Art von Gruppe/SL trifft, ist es wirklich GENAU das Richtige und nicht irgendein abgeschliffener, überdesignter Kram, der irgendwie alle glücklich machen soll, die darüber stolpern könnten!"

Jetzt heißt es nur noch auf die deutsche Version warten, um herauszufinden, ob es das Richtige für mich ist. xD

Offline Bildpunkt

• Bildpunktlanze
  • Famous Hero
  • Username: Pixellance
    • RPG Pixelart
« Antwort #58 am: 5.10.2018 | 21:45 »
Das Tiefwasser Kapitel aus Dragon Heist gibt es jetzt auch als PDF von WotC:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/254063/Volos-Waterdeep-Enchiridion-5e

Ist das der Anfang eines Trends oder nur konsequente Fortsetzung Stichwort Ebberron 5e Publikationsstrategie
DUNGEON WORLD FANZINE/SANDBOX DIE GLORREICHE STADT 
Gib Deinem Spiel eine überraschende Wendung  Blaupausen - Zufallstabellen
Pixellance und seine RPG Pixelbilder auf  TWITTER

Offline schneeland

• Mythos
  • Cogito ergo possum
  • Username: schneeland
« Antwort #59 am: 5.10.2018 | 21:56 »
Ich tendiere zu Fortführung und würde erwarten, dass wir sowas häufiger sehen. Ich find's nicht mal wirklich schlimm, auch wenn ich es persönlich nicht kaufen würde. Ein wenig grummelig bin ich nur, dass sie mir keine kompletten PDFs verkaufen, aber da rechne ich auch nicht mit einer Änderung.
Brothers of the mine rejoice!
Swing, swing, swing with me
Raise your pick and raise your voice!
Sing, sing, sing with me

Offline Rhylthar

• Titan
« Antwort #60 am: 5.10.2018 | 22:06 »
Da es eine Spendenaktion ist, vermute ich Einmaligkeit.

Offline schneeland

• Mythos
  • Cogito ergo possum
  • Username: schneeland
« Antwort #61 am: 5.10.2018 | 22:52 »
Ah ok, das gehört zu Extra Life. In dem Fall ist es nicht die Fortsetzung der Eberron-Sache, sondern eher von dem Tortle-Package (zu Tomb of Annihilation), das sie letztes Jahr aus dem selben Anlass rausgebracht haben.
Brothers of the mine rejoice!
Swing, swing, swing with me
Raise your pick and raise your voice!
Sing, sing, sing with me

Offline Der Belgier

• Bloody Beginner
  • Username: Der Belgier
« Antwort #62 am: 6.11.2018 | 16:35 »
Sind die erwähnten Druckfehler bei den Überschriften jetzt in der ganzen Auflage vorhanden oder gibt es auch fehlerfreie Exemplare?

Offline Rhylthar

• Titan
« Antwort #63 am: 6.11.2018 | 16:40 »
Sind die erwähnten Druckfehler bei den Überschriften jetzt in der ganzen Auflage vorhanden oder gibt es auch fehlerfreie Exemplare?
Gibt auch fehlerfreie...ich besitze eines, allerdings ist da anderer Stelle ein Fehler.  ::)

Offline Der Belgier

• Bloody Beginner
  • Username: Der Belgier
« Antwort #64 am: 6.11.2018 | 16:47 »
Danke für die Rückmeldung, dann hoffe ich mal, dass ich ein fehlerfreies kriege, auch wenn die Fehler wahrscheinlich nicht sooo dramatisch sind...

Offline Rhylthar

• Titan
« Antwort #65 am: 6.11.2018 | 17:05 »
Danke für die Rückmeldung, dann hoffe ich mal, dass ich ein fehlerfreies kriege, auch wenn die Fehler wahrscheinlich nicht sooo dramatisch sind...
Nein, dramatisch ist es auf keinen Fall. Bin nur irritiert, denn sowas bin ich von WotC-Produkten nicht gewohnt. Der andere Fehler ist ein nicht sauber "aufgezogenes" Cover.

Offline Antariuk

• Legend
  • Username: Antariuk
    • Plus 1 auf Podcast
« Antwort #66 am: 9.04.2019 | 22:33 »
Heute startete meine Dragon Heist Runde, nachdem mir der Band geschenkt wurde. Schön entspannt mit drei Spielern, einer Gruppe wo lustige Katastrophen garantiert sind (Elf Monk, die der Ninja der Gruppe werden soll, ein Dwarf Cleric (War) und ein Human Battlemaster). Habe das Abenteuer 2,5 gelesen, dazu zig Threads mit Ideen und Änderungen, und denke ich leite das am Ende wohl ca. 70% wie gedruckt. Bin sehr gespannt :)
Kleiner Rollenspielstammtisch: Plus 1 auf Podcast

"Ein Zauberer mag noch so raffiniert sein, ein Messer im Rücken wird seinen Stil ernsthaft versauen." - Steven Brust

Offline Weltengeist

• Mythos
  • Kaufabenteueranpasser
« Antwort #67 am: 11.04.2019 | 19:39 »
Ich will im Sommer den Versuch unternehmen, Dragon Heist (oder jedenfalls Teile davon) ins viktorianische London zu verlegen. Mal sehen, wie gut das klappt...
"Wenn ich in Unterleuten eins gelernt habe, dann dass jeder Mensch ein eigenes Universum bewohnt, in dem er von morgens bis abends recht hat." (Juli Zeh, Unterleuten)

Spielt derzeit: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (Savage Worlds - Prismeer), Troubleshooter (Savage Worlds - Starfinder)

Offline Kyrun

• Experienced
  • Username: Kyrun
« Antwort #68 am: 29.04.2019 | 14:29 »
Halli hallo. Ich habe mir am Freitag Waterdeep Drachenraub geholt und es bisher nur etwas angelesen. Es scheint ein gutes Abenteuer zu sein.Ihr habt es doch bestimmt schonmal geleitet. Wie war es so? Ich werde es mit einer neuen Gruppe leiten, die aber in Sachen D&D5 nichtmehr ganz so unerfahren ist. Drachenraub scheint sich da aber gut als Abenteuer zum Einstieg zu eignen. Was meint ihr dazu?

Offline Kyrun

• Experienced
« Antwort #69 am: 30.04.2019 | 15:47 »
Äh hallo? Will keiner was dazu sagen? Oder seid ihr alle ausgeflogen. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Weltengeist

• Mythos
  • Kaufabenteueranpasser
« Antwort #70 am: 30.04.2019 | 15:52 »
Äh hallo? Will keiner was dazu sagen? Oder seid ihr alle ausgeflogen. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Also ich für meinen Teil habe es gelesen (auf englisch), aber noch nicht gespielt. Und du wolltest ja explizit mit Leuten reden, die es schon geleitet haben - das dürfte für das deutsche Buch schwierig werden (ist schließlich erst ein paar Tage alt), aber auch für das englische gibt es vermutlich nicht sooo viele Tanelornis, die schon damit fertig sind.

(Und nein, das Schweigen hat bestimmt nichts mit den Gerüchten zu tun, dass die überwältigende Mehrheit der Rollenspielbücher, die von Tanelornis gekauft werden, überhaupt niemals gespielt werden. >;D)

Offline SeldomFound

• Adventurer
  • Username: SeldomFound
« Antwort #71 am: 30.04.2019 | 15:57 »
Wenn du einen Vorgeschmack willst, schau mal hier: https://youtu.be/OQP3McOFKqU

Gesendet von meinem FIG-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Offline Kyrun

• Experienced
« Antwort #72 am: 30.04.2019 | 16:00 »
Ach so es gibt noch garnicht sofiele die es auf englisch geleitet haben. Ok Dann wäre es wohl besser wenn wir hier einfach in Zukunft unsere Erfahrungen mit Drachenraub austauschen oder?

Offline SeldomFound

• Adventurer
  • Username: SeldomFound
« Antwort #73 am: 30.04.2019 | 16:06 »
Ach so es gibt noch garnicht sofiele die es auf englisch geleitet haben. Ok Dann wäre es wohl besser wenn wir hier einfach in Zukunft unsere Erfahrungen mit Drachenraub austauschen oder?
Ich würde es schon gerne leiten, aber ich habe keine Spieler.

Mein Eindruck ist halt, dass man sich gut in das Setting einarbeitet und sich von vorneherein abspricht, dass die Gruppe zumindest ein gemeinsames Ziel teilt: In Waterdeep sitzhaft zu werden!

Offline Kyrun

• Experienced
« Antwort #74 am: 30.04.2019 | 16:14 »
Ja ein Anwesen. Das können die Spieler aber auch verkaufen oder alle jubel jahre mal aufsuchen und drin wohnen sobald sie in Rente gehen.